Below are the most significant issue's we've had to work through to become a healthy, thriving program. Also, most of the issue's below are also one's we get affiliate inquiries about as well.
- It’s all about the family and their story.
> Focus on the family first and then the building project. Help to answer other issue's.
- Getting everyone at the affiliate on the same page with ABWK
> Should home preservation be as big of a priority as home building? (understanding housing stability)
> Is ABWK a drain on homebuilding?- Integrating ABWK with homebuilding
- Marketing and dual branding
- Funding projects: be creative and use family stories.
- Don’t chase number of families served: build relationships, tell stories and the numbers will come.
- Who will you serve?- Choosing qualified families
- Finding eligible families
- Volunteer experience
- Family circumstances: understanding the diversity of family values
- Family partner process/sweat equity
- Communicating effectively with families
- Affordability and repayment
- Working with Vulnerable Adults
- Work scope: where to stop
- Working on a home with lead
- Understanding differences: homebuyers and ABWK homeowners
- Working with current Habitat homeowners
Over the next few months I will focus a blog post on each of the issue's and share how we've overcome potential obstacles to our growth and sustainability. I would love to hear from other affiliates on how you've dealt with these issue's and even others not listed. Understanding and effectively working through these issue's will determine the programs value to your affiliate and it's ultimate impact in your communities.